Sunday, January 23, 2011

Magazine Lady.........

No, I didn't design a Magazine Lady.........now that would be funny.  Actually, I am a magazine lady, at least that's what some people call me.  When I'm not "working" at designing ladies I'm putting out the latest and greatest magazines as a magazine merchandiser.  It's hard work, but I'm thankful for the job.  Not only am I thankful because it's difficult to find a job these days, but I'm also thankful because my job has introduced me to hundreds of women that have inspired me to follow my dream and be an artist.  If I were not a magazine merchandiser I may never have met all of the talented women featured in my favorite magazine, "Where Women Create."  From the moment my eyes fell upon this beautiful magazine I was "in love!"  The magazine features women and their creative work spaces.  With every article I read I thought, "This is what I want to do."  It went from "This is what I want to do" to "This is what I'm GOING to do!"  And the rest is history in the making.   This has been the "up" side to magazine merchandising.

Now for the "down" side........and actually, it's not really a down side, it's the reality side.  Week after week I look at the covers of the magazines I put out and think of all the women that will look at them and think, "I'll never look like that," or "I want to look like that," or maybe, "I'll do ANYTHING to look like that!"  And then I'm sure there are women that think, "I sure don't want my husband (or boyfriend) looking AT that!"  How do we escape the trap of not measuring up?  It's not easy!  For me, knowing that I have a heavenly Father that loves me like no other, and a Creator that made me just like I am, makes all the difference in the world.  I have not "arrived," it's a journey, but the more time I spend looking into the face of my Jesus, the more I like the face I see when I look into the mirror.

While I walk on the treadmill I like to listen to a CD by Mandisa.  I find her music empowering.  I would like to share the words to one of the songs with you.  This is from my heart to yours.  I pray that it ministers to you as it has to me.

The Definition of Me

Everybody's got an opinion of what they want me to be
Everybody's got a condition that I may never meet

So tired of looking in the mirror, it always always says the same thing
I want to be about something different, something more than the mirror can see

Like joy, peace, alive in me
When it comes to my identity

I want the love, I want the light, I want the beauty on the inside
I want the One that you can't see to be the definition of me
More than the face, more than the girl, more than the voice, more than the world
I want the truth that I believe to be the definition of me

Pretty is cool for a minute, but it always fades away
Trends are hot for a second, they'll be gone the very next day
So before you get lost in the moment, let's get one thing clear
Only love will last forever, that's the reason that we're here

It's up to you 'cause everybody's looking
Who do you want them to see?

I want the love, I want the light, I want the beauty on the inside
I want the One that you can't see to be the definition of me
More than the face, more than the girl, more than the voice, more than the world
I want the truth that I believe to be the definition of me

This past Friday we had a very special guest come and speak to the students at our school.  She is the reigning Mrs. Washington.  The students were touched by her testimony, but mostly by the warmth and love that she extended to them.  She is definitely beautiful on the outside, but she is defined by her inner beauty which far exceeds what the eye can see.  I'm sure her life will impact many, I know it did our Molly.



Sunday blessings to you all!  I've been painting away and will post pictures either later on today or tomorrow.



2 comments:

  1. Carolyn, One of the most special moments for me was when Carla, Mrs. Washington, spoke to Molly. It was so sweet, caring and right down on her level. Imagine, Carolyn, I got teary:)
    Love, Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Carolyn! "More than the eyes can see!"
    Thank you for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete